What is the Hunger Ministry?Our Savior’s hunger ministry is a collection of programs, events, and initiatives with the purpose of reducing hunger in DuPage County.
Why do we have a hunger ministry?DuPage County is a very wealthy county, yet there are thousands in our community who go hungry every day.
In Dupage County:
- 87,200 people are food insecure, that’s 9.6% of the population
- 37,570 children are food insecure, that’s 16.4% of children in the county
- 58% of the people who are food insecure and 61% of children who are food insecure do not qualify for federal nutrition programs
How are we working to reduce hunger in DuPage County?There are four main aspects of our hunger ministry:
- DuPage PADS: through DuPage PADS we provide meals to the homeless. Once a month we serve dinner, breakfast, and a sack lunch to 30-100 people who are homeless.
- Neighborhood Food Pantries: we support the work of Neighborhood Food Pantries (formerly Feeding Northwest DuPage) through financial donations and donations of food.
- Community Garden: volunteers from the congregation and community tend a 2,500 square foot organic vegetable garden and all the produce is donated to local food pantries and people in need of food.
- Feeding Families in Faith: members of the congregation deliver groceries to families in need of food assistance.
We partner with these organizations to most effectively serve those in need of food:
What organizations do we partner with?
Neighborhood Food Pantries (formerly Feeding Northwest DuPage)